9 ways to wish Germans a happy birthday
Happy birthday in German
Happy birthday in German means “Alles Gute zum Geburtstag” . This designation is the most formal and most frequently used in the German-speaking world. So if you wish someone a “Alles Gute zum Geburtstag” you can hardly go wrong. However, other more modern, shorter and informal expressions can often be found on Facebook. These are shorter, more concise, more informal, friendlier and more personal. However, if you should write a greeting card, just use “Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!”.
9 ways to wish a German “Happy Birthday”
Below you will find many different ways in which you can congratulate a German on a birthday. Some of these are short forms for social media, others have a more general (formal) meaning. Due to the large number, you can choose the right shape for the phrase “Happy Birthday”.
- Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! – Happy birthday
- Herzlichen Glückwunsch! – Congratulations
- Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag! – Happy birthday
- Alles Gute! – All the best
- Meine Glückwünsche! – My congratulations
- Alle meine Glückwünsche! – All my congratulations
- Ich wünsche dir alles Gute zum Geburtstag! – I wish you a happy birthday
- Viel Glück! – Good luck
- Gratulation (zum Geburtstag)! – Congratulations (on your birthday)
Note that in German-speaking countries the English “Happy Birthday” is also often used on social media. However, in a formal atmosphere and in a relationship, you should stay in the German language.
- Bus connections and buses on CorfuWerbung / Advertisements Corfu is one of the most beautiful and popular Greek islands, attracting visitors with an impressive mix of picturesque beaches, rich history and vibrant culture. To fully explore the island’s diversity,...
- Rhodes Beaches and Rhodes SnorkelingWerbung / Advertisements Rhodes, the largest of the Dodecanese islands in Greece’s Aegean Sea, is famous for its rich history, archaeological sites and, of course, stunning beaches. The island is also a paradise for...
- The Skiathos Bus System: A Comprehensive GuideWerbung / Advertisements Hello, travel enthusiasts! Today, we are taking you on a different kind of journey by giving you a deep insight into the bus system of Skiathos, the backbone of public transport...
Birthday gifts for Germans
Classic gifts for Germans are cash gifts, vouchers for culture and art, books and perfumes. If you want something a little more original, the Germans are happy about good food. It doesn’t really matter whether it is tasty cheeses from the Netherlands or local cuisine – the main thing is a bit more hearty. There are of course countless beers that are unique in Germany (Kraft beers). A trip to the North or Baltic Sea or to the castles in the south is also welcome.
Germany as a country
You should also visit the city of Berlin and Munich once in your life. Both cities offer you an insight into German culture, life, art and culture – both on a modern scale. From the Berlin Wall to the Munich Oktoberfest – you can be sure of unique impressions.
More resources in German
There is also a overview page with birthday wishes in all languages . Would you have known something like “Everything Happy Birthday “in Finnish (one of the heaviest languages) is?