How to Say “Happy Birthday” in French – 10 Easy Ways
Everyone is happy to receive birthday wishes – preferably in their native language, of course. For this reason, in this article I would like to present you with different ways of wishing a French man or woman a happy birthday. How to say Happy Birthday in French in 10 simple and easy ways.
Happy birthday in French means: Joyeux anniversaire! This term is used quite frequently, as it is in German. On Facebook, however, other expressions are often found much more frequently. These are shorter and more concise.
10 ways to wish a French person “Happy Birthday”
Below are many different ways you can congratulate a French person. Some of these are shorthand for social media, others have a more general meaning. Due to the variety, you can choose the right form for the phrase Happy Birthday.
- Joyeux anniversaire! – Happy Birthday
- Bon anniversaire! – Congratulations
- Bonne fête! – Happy Happy birthday
- Meilleurs voeux! – All the best
- Mes félicitations! – My congratulations
- Toutes me félicitations! – All my congratulations
- Tout le meilleur! – All the best
- Je vous souhaite un joyeux anniversaire! – I wish you a happy birthday .
- Félicitations! – Congratulations
- Bonne chance! – Good luck
The best thing to do is apply your knowledge right away and surprise a French friend, acquaintance or relative with a “Happy Birthday” in French. The French in particular are proud of their language and look forward to birthday wishes in their national language. But don’t be surprised if you get a “Merci!” or “Merci beaucoup!” – this means something like “(Many) thanks”. And don’t forget: variety makes life nicer – so you have several ways to congratulate a French person.
Idioms “Happy Birthday” in French
Here are some phrases you can use to wish the French happy birthday. Idioms tend to be longer, but they also express more personality. However, make sure that you pay attention to the correct pronunciation.
- Le meilleur pour ton anniversaire. – The best for your birthday
- Je te souhaite un très bon anniversaire! – I wish happy birthday to you
- Milles baisers. – A thousand greetings
Birthday gifts for French people
It is often very difficult to choose the right gift – even more difficult with a different nationality. Of course you can’t do much wrong with vouchers, gifts of money, fragrances, technology and games – but these are just standard gifts. However, the French are also happy about local and regional products from their country, as well as technical items. A good ham or cheese, dairy products, olives and fine wines – you’re always right. Of course you can mix Italian products with your own regional products for a perfect and delicious gift.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you say good luck in French?
Good luck in French is “Bonne Chance!”. You can also say “Bonne Chance” as a birthday wish.
What can you write nice for a birthday?
How do you wish someone a happy birthday in French?
In France, the phrase “Joyeux anniversaire” is used to congratulate on a birthday. With the phrase “Bon anniversaire”, on the other hand, you wish the person a happy birthday. Both phrases are therefore perfect for French birthday wishes.
More resources in French
In this category you will find more French language expressions and lessons or do you want another language? In addition, there is an overview page with birthday wishes in all languages. Did you know something like“Happy Birthday” in Finnish (one of the hardest languages) is?
You should also visit the city of Paris once in your life. This offers you famous and beautiful churches, castles and a wonderful city center. Of course, the Eiffel Tower should not be forgotten, from which you have a unique view of the big city.
Happy birthday in other languages
Here you will find a post list about Birthday wishes in many other languages. In addition to birthday wishes, there are also wishes for a name day, Happy Easter, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas.
- Happy Birthday in Hawaiian – 3 easy ways
- How do you say happy birthday in Yugoslavian?If you look at the official languages of the successor states of Yugoslavia today, Serbo-Croatian has disappeared. Instead, they speak Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian and Montenegrin. Nevertheless, everyone can still understand everyone. Happy birthday in...
- Happy Birthday in Greek – 8 easy waysHappy birthday in Greek means: Χαρούμενα γενέθλια! (Charoúmena genéthlia) or Χρόνια πολλά (Xronia polla). Both phrases have the same meaning but the first one is more polite. As in the German language, this both terms are used...
- Say “Happy Birthday” in Italian – 8 Easy WaysBella Italia – this is easy. And a “Gelato alla stracciatella” should still be possible. But this should not be your entire knowledge of Italian. How about if you could say “Happy Birthday” in...
- How to Say “Happy Birthday” in French – 10 Easy WaysEveryone is happy to receive birthday wishes – preferably in their native language, of course. For this reason, in this article I would like to present you with different ways of wishing a French...