How to say Happy Birthday in Turkish – 9 simple ways
Everyone is happy when they receive birthday wishes – preferably in his native language, of course. For this reason, I would like to introduce you to various ways in this article of how you can wish a Turkish man or woman a happy birthday. How to say Happy Birthday in Turkish in 6 easy and simple ways.
How to say Happy Birthday in Turkish
Happy birthday in Turkish means: İyi ki doğdun! This is the most commonly used term because it is the standard phrase and can always be used. However, you will find other expressions much more often in social networks, but also in personal conversations. These are shorter and more concise. Also, different proverbs give you different uses. You can also alternate terms so you don’t always have to use the same one, meaning you have many different choices how to wish Happy Birthday in Turkish.
9 simple ways to wish a Turk “Happy Birthday”
In the list below you will find various ways in which you can congratulate a Turk. Some of these are short forms specifically for social media or informal conversations. Others, however, have a more general meaning and can of course be used in a variety of ways.
- İyi ki doğdun! – Happy birthday / Happy birthday
- Tebrikler! – Congratulations / My congratulations
- Herşey gönlünce olsun! – All the best
- Dogum günün kutlu olsun. – I wish you a happy birthday
- Dogum gününüz kutlu olsun! – Happy Birthday
- İyi şanslar! – Good luck
- Mutlu yıllar sana – Happy New Year to you
- Mutlu Yillar – Happy Birthday
- Tebrikler – Congratulations
The best thing to do is to apply your knowledge straight away and surprise a Turkish friend, acquaintance or relative with a “Happy Birthday” in Turkish. The Turks in particular are extremely proud of their language and are happy to receive birthday wishes in their national language. But don’t be surprised if a “Teşekkürler!” Or “Teşekkür ederim!” Comes back – this means something like “(Thank you very much)”. And don’t forget: variety makes life more beautiful – so you have several options to congratulate a Turkish woman.
Turkish culture celebrates all events, such as birthdays, name days and weddings. Every special occasion is worth remembering and for that reason, best wishes should be sent. Don’t worry, with the above simple methods of sending birthday wishes, you’re always on the right track.
Birthday gifts for Turkish people
It is often very difficult to choose the right gift – even more difficult with a different nationality. Of course, you can’t go wrong with vouchers, monetary gifts, fragrances and games – but these are standard gifts. However, Turks also enjoy local and regional products from their country. Note, however, that certain products may not be brought into the European area (such as dairy products). Of course you can mix Turkish with your own regional products and thus have a perfect gift.
Turkish Birthday Songs
Instead of “Happy Birthday to you” you can sing “Mutlu yillar sana” which means in English “Happy New Year to You”. The melody is the same and the meaning as well.
Turkish Birthday Celebrations
In Turkey, it is customary to celebrate birthdays with family and friends separately. Due to the often large families, the birthday is celebrated more often – for example in the afternoon with the family and in the evening with friends. Usually the friends determine where your party is going and surprise you with a gathering. In addition to gifts, eating birthday cakes and blowing out candles are also compulsory in Turkey.
More resources in Turkish
You can find many more resources in Turkish and other languages on this website. Of course, there are many more articles about exciting articles – click through!
Happy birthday in other languages
Here you will find a post list about Birthday wishes in many other languages. In addition to birthday wishes, there are also wishes for a name day, Happy Easter, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas.
- Happy birthday in MaoriThe Maori are an indigenous people of New Zealand who have a unique culture and traditions – including their own language. There are therefore different ways to congratulate Maori on their birthday. In this...
- Happy Birthday in Hawaiian – 3 easy waysHappy birthday in Hawaiian Happy birthday in Hawaiian means “Hauʻoli Lā Hānau“. This terms are used most often because they are the standard phrases and can always be used. In social networks, but also...
- How do you say happy birthday in Yugoslavian?If you look at the official languages of the successor states of Yugoslavia today, Serbo-Croatian has disappeared. Instead, they speak Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian and Montenegrin. Nevertheless, everyone can still understand everyone. Happy birthday in...
- Happy Birthday in Greek – 8 easy waysHappy birthday in Greek means: Χαρούμενα γενέθλια! (Charoúmena genéthlia) or Χρόνια πολλά (Xronia polla). Both phrases have the same meaning but the first one is more polite. As in the German language, this both terms are used...
- Say “Happy Birthday” in Italian – 8 Easy WaysBella Italia – this is easy. And a “Gelato alla stracciatella” should still be possible. But this should not be your entire knowledge of Italian. How about if you could say “Happy Birthday” in...