Fallout 76 Skill – An introduction to the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system and Perk Cards
Surviving the harsh world of Appalachia is no easy task in Fallout 76, a post-apocalyptic online RPG. In order to be successful, players must improve and adapt their abilities, or skills, to better deal with the variety of challenges. In this article, we will examine the skill system in Fallout 76, the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system and Perk Cards, and explain how they help develop and strengthen a player’s character in the game.
The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system
At the core of the skill system in Fallout 76 is the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, which represents a character’s seven main attributes: Strength, Perception, Stamina, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck. When creating a character, players are given a limited number of points to allocate to these attributes to set their starting stats. With each level up, players receive another point that they can invest in one of the attributes to further improve their skills.
Each of the seven attributes affects different aspects of the game:
- Strength: Affects the character’s carrying capacity and the damage it can deal in melee combat.
- Perception: Affects the character’s ability to detect targets and range in V.A.T.S. (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System).
- Endurance: Affects the amount of action points the character has for sprinting, as well as their resistance to diseases and the level of fatigue.
- Charisma: Affects the character’s ability to interact with other players and non-player characters (NPCs) and prices when trading.
- Intelligence: Affects the character’s ability to craft and repair items, as well as the experience points he gains from solving puzzles and completing quests.
- Agility: Affects the speed at which the character moves and the number of Action Points he spends in V.A.T.S. has.
- Luck: Affects the probability of getting critical hits and the quality of the items the character finds.
In addition to the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, Fallout 76 also offers players Perk Cards that offer special abilities and improvements for their character. With each level-up, players receive a Perk Card of their choice, which they can assign to one of their S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes. Each attribute has a limited number of perk card slots that depend on the attribute’s current score. In order to use more Perk Cards for a specific attribute, players must increase their score in that attribute.
Perk Cards can also be found by completing quests and events, or by opening Perk Card Packs, which are occasionally given as rewards for reaching certain milestones in the game. Players can also combine cards to create more powerful versions of the same card, or disassemble unwanted cards to earn Perk Coins that can be used to upgrade cards.
The Perk Cards provide a variety of benefits that enhance and expand a character’s playstyle and abilities. Some examples of Perk Cards are:
- Pack Rat: Decreases the weight of packs, allowing the character to carry more items.
- Rifleman: Increases the damage the character deals with rifles.
- Aquaboy/Aquagirl: Allows the character to breathe underwater and not absorb radiation while swimming.
- Inspirational: Increases the experience points the character receives while in a party with other players.
The skill system in Fallout 76 is an integral part of character development and gameplay. The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system and Perk Cards allow players to customize their characters according to their individual tastes and playstyles, creating a unique and personalized experience. By continually upgrading and customizing their skills, players are better equipped to overcome the challenges of Appalachia and survive the wasteland.
More about Fallout 76
You can find more about Fallout 76 on the Overview page for Fallout 76. You can find more games on the Overview page for games.
- Wolves in Fallout 76: A comprehensive analysisIn the post-apocalyptic world of Fallout 76, wildlife is vital to survival and exploration of the irradiated wasteland. One of the most fascinating creatures in this ecosystem are the wolves. Over time, they have...
- Fallout 76 Chems – A Comprehensive Guide and FAQIn the post-apocalyptic world of Fallout 76, chems are a valuable resource that provide players with temporary buffs and benefits. They can be found, crafted or bought in the open world and help to...
- Fallout 76 Skill – An introduction to the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system and Perk CardsSurviving the harsh world of Appalachia is no easy task in Fallout 76, a post-apocalyptic online RPG. In order to be successful, players must improve and adapt their abilities, or skills, to better deal...
- Nuka Cola Dark in Fallout 76 – How to find, buy and craft the coveted drinkIn the post-apocalyptic world of Fallout 76, drinks and consumables are an essential part of survival. One of the most coveted and rare drinks in the world of Fallout is undoubtedly Nuka Cola Dark,...
- Fallout 76 Silver – Farming, Processing and Using Silver: The Ultimate GuideIntroduction Fallout 76, Bethesda’s popular online action role-playing game, is all about gathering and processing resources to survive and thrive in the post-apocalyptic wasteland of West Virginia. One of these important resources is silver....
- Fallout 76 – Collect Mothman EggsIn Fallout 76, the online action role-playing game from Bethesda, players will explore the post-apocalyptic world of West Virginia. Along the way, they encounter a variety of creatures, materials, and items to collect, craft,...
- Fallout 76 – Vendor – Great tipsYou thought Fallout 76 only had train station vendors? Far from it. There are many different trading systems in Fallout. The most well-known system is of course the handle with bottle caps, but there...
- Fallout 76 – Farm GlueGlue is one of the most commonly used materials in Fallout 76, especially in the early stages up to level 100. Whether armor or weapons – glue is constantly needed. Glue is also required...
- Fallout 76 – Farm aluminumAluminium is one of the rare goods in Fallout – but it is needed relatively often. For example, aluminum is needed to repair weapons. But some objects and building materials also need the important...
- Fallout 76 gold barsSince the Wastelanders update in Fallout 76, Fallout has had the new currency of gold bars. With these gold bars you can acquire new and special items in Fallout 76. In this guide I...